The History of
Howard Lodge No. 101, A.F. & A.M.

Elkridge, Maryland

The Brothers of Howard Lodge No. 101 can trace their lineage to December 20, 1854, when the Grand Lodge of Maryland granted a dispensation for Bro. John Y. Worthington to form a new Masonic Lodge in Elkridge named Union Branch Lodge. This new fraternal organization was officially chartered on May 16, 1855, held its first meeting on May 21, 1855, and renamed itself Howard Lodge No. 101. At this inaugural meeting two initiates were voted on and approved to receive the three degrees of Masonry, with the first new Master Mason being raised on June 18, 1855.

Howard Lodge No. 101 held our first meetings in the former Hall of Triumphant, Division No. 38, of the Sons of Temperance, which was purchased in 1893 for a cost of $1,200.00. In 1904, a committee was formed to investigate the purchase of a plot of land on Old Hoxley Mills Road (now known as Levering Avenue) and the property is purchased for $300.00. On August 20, 1904, the cornerstone of this new Lodge building is laid by the Grand Lodge of Maryland, with construction ending on May 16, 1905. At this time the outstanding debt on the building was $1,000.00, which was paid for by two $500.00 notes held by two Lodge members. These notes have since been retired and the Lodge has remained debt free ever since.

Throughout the years the Lodge has been active within the Masonic Family across the State of Maryland; Brothers received permission to form a new Freemason Lodge in Savage known as Solomon's Lodge No. 121 (1865), and provided support in the establishment of the Order of the Eastern Star Howard County Chapter No. 20 (1908), the Jobs Daughters Bethel No. 22 (1934), and a local chapter of the Order of Demolay (1951). Howard Lodge No. 101 has also absorbed the membership of Mystic Circle Lodge No. 109 (2003) and Baltimore Lodge No. 210 (2005), merging our organizations and strengthening our Brotherhood through the addition of a number of distinguished Freemasons.

The organization is exceptionally strong and has proved its longevity by being awarded the Grand Master's Award with distinction every year, but one, since its inception. Our brethren built on a firm foundation, and built well, for after more than 150 years of continuous service Howard Lodge No. 101 stands as a pillar of excellence.


Interesting historical facts of Howard Lodge No. 101:

  • It is the only lodge in the State of Maryland chartered to meet every week.

  • We are the only Masonic temple in the state to have an entrance of 3-5-7 steps with two pillars located on its porch.

  • Union solders attended our lodge during the civil war.

  • We were the first lodge to husk an ear of corn from the fields of corn at Bonnie Blink at the first corn husking. The ear of corn and our trophy proudly is displayed on our north wall.

  • Howard Lodge No. 101 held and conducted the first summer school of instruction in the state and continued until the mid forties when other lodges felt we were located to far out into the country and decided to move the summer school to Sharon Lodge No. 182. Our lodge continues to hold its own summer school starting the first Monday after the 4th of July. Many of the Past Masters of Millington, Waverly and other lodges continued to attend our summer school well into the late seventies.

  • Howard Lodge No. 101 was the first lodge in the state to require every new brother to stand a proficiency exam for the catechism for the 3rd degree of Freemasonry. The Grand Lodge of Maryland did not require this exam until 1946.

  • During the Grand Lodge summer school of 1966, Past Master Jerry Stolte was asked to demonstrate the memorial service as Howard Lodge No. 101 had started to memorize the memorial service at the funeral of a departed brother. We were recognized as the first lodge to provide this service to our members and their family.

  • We are the only known lodge to have the Governor of Maryland's brother as their musician, Bro. Ray Mckeldin. (Governor Theodore McKeldin)

  • On March 11, 1967 Howard Lodge opened the first Daylight Lodge in Maryland that was held in the Grand Lodge room on 225 North Charles Street. A petitioner of Howard Lodge No. 101 was received and given the Entered apprentice Degree.